- slide 1 of 2
The Mages guild
The Mages guild is an organisation devoted to the study of the arcane, enchanting and alchemy for the purpose of creating magic. The members strive for ultimate knowledge, which consequently leads to mighty and powerful wizards, but differing from the Telvannis this guild doesn’t seek to eliminate rivals or use their powers for personal gain. There are other major differences from the Telvanni Great House, which creates the strong rivalry; the Mages guild can sell potions and scrolls to virtually anyone who requires them, not solely wizards or members, and moreover any race is accepted as a member.
The guild has a strong presence throughout the island, with branches present in all the major towns. They also offer a quick method of travelling between halls, with a system that involves Guild guides. For a price, anyone is able to be transported to any of the towns which have a branch of the Mages guild. The towns available are Ald’Ruhn, Balmora, Caldera, Sadrith Mora and Vivec.
The headquarters of the Mages guild, or central hall, are found in Vivec where the Arch-mage resides. Balmora has a respectable hall however, as Ald’Ruhn, and generally these are more frequented than Vivec.
- slide 2 of 2
The Mages obviously favour Intelligence and Willpower as their primary attributes. As described in a previous guide, this allows for plenty of magical energies and high resistance to enemy spells. The major and minor skills are all schools of magic and you can choose the schools according to what kind of mage you would like to play (i.e. Destruction for a battlemage).
The main allies are Imperial guilds such as the legion, the Fighters guild and the Imperial cult. The Mages guild also has an affinity with the Thieves guild, oddly enough, as they often ask for ‘favours’ and value the honour of thieves. They hate House Telvanni with a passion since everything about this Great House is opposite to what the Mages Guild believes in.
The leader is the Arch-mage Trebonius Artorius in Vivec. He is a battlemage and his leadership is often contested by fellow members, as his quests are dangerous and will involve killing Telvanni mages. The Mages guild opposes the idea and you can choose to kill Artorius instead. The ranks are: Associate, Apprentice, Journeyman, Evoker, Conjurer, Magician, Warlock, Wizard, Master Wizard and Arch-Mage.
The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – House Dagoth
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – House Dres
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – House Hlaalu
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – House Redoran
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – House Telvanni
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – The Blades
- The Dark Brotherhood Guild In Morrowind - Guide to Guilds & Factions in The World of Morrowind
- The World of Morrowind: The Fighters Guild - Guilds & Factions Guide For Elder Scrolls III
- The World of Morrowind: Imperial Cult in Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind Guilds & Factions Guide
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – Imperial legion in Elder Scrolls III
- The World of Morrowind Guilds & Factions Guide – Mages Guild Overview
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions in Elder Scrolls III - Thieves guild Overview
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – The Ashlander tribes
- The Camonna Tong Overview - Guide to The World of Morrowind Guilds & Factions
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions Guide – The Morag Tong - Elder Scrolls III
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – The Tribunal Temple